.

I am keeping a diary of food I consume and any symptoms as a record for other sufferers of gall bladder attacks and those who have had theirs removed. After suffering a very long gallbladder attack which lasted 9 days with continuous pain, I was fortunate enough to have surgery recently. I had laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery which leaves you with 4 incisions in your abdomen and your body has no way of processing fat thereafter. Hence this diary/blog for other sufferers.

This diary goes hand-in-hand with my Food Blog which I will still keep up to date with gall bladder friendly meals. Feel free to check out my Food Blog. Also feel free to comment here and ask any questions you like. Follow me for my gall bladder ride.

Now about wind - well this is a blog about gall bladders and digestion problems, after all! With any digestion problems comes the dreaded subject of flatulence. Let's put it out there: farts, fluffs, trumps, firing off, letting off, ripping off, gas, stinkies and passing wind - we all do it. It's nothing to be ashamed about because it's a natural bodily function just like breathing. Now I admit I've always been a farter. I guess that is because I never burp. That's right - I can't burp! So I guess the gas has no other escape except down. Therefore this blog will need to include this smelly topic. If you're offended I am not going to apologise because it's a natural part of life.

When I've recorded my symptoms I've included flatulence in this manor: Mild flatulence = 1-5 farts; Medium flatulence = 5-10 farts; Excessive flatulence = more than 10 farts. So there you have it. It's out there for the world to see. I'm not ashamed of farting and you shouldn't be either *barf* O

Friday, November 11, 2011

Countdown to surgery : Day 1

Breakfast:
  • 1/4 cup bran flakes
  • 1 broken weet bix
  • 1/4 cup light milk
  • 1 cup tea with light milk
  • 1 Glucosamine tablet

Symptoms:
Bowel movement within 30mins which was fairly firm, but not hard.

Lunch:
  • 1 crusket with sliced ham and lettuce
  • 1 measured cup multi-fruit juice

Symptoms:
Nil

Afternoon tea:
  • Small yoghurt with 1 tablespoon dried fruit & nuts

Symptoms:
Nil

Dinner:

Symptoms:
Slight rumble in the tummy after 20mins which lasted 10 seconds; minimal flatulence. I assume this was due to the peanut butter being oily, even though I had only about 1/8 of a teaspoon drizzled over my chicken.

After dinner:
  • 1 apple
  • 1 cup of tea with light milk
  • 1 measured cup of milk going to bed 
Symptoms:
Mild flatulence (see note above rating flatulence)

Note:
No pain relief today which could be as a result of the left-over morphine and panadeine forte which the hospital gave me last night, but could also be because I have cut out fat for 5 days now and have halved my meal sizes. Since the gall bladder attack started (did I say 9 days ago?) I have felt hungry but full and bloated at the same time. When I eat I can only eat very small portions therefore get hungry between meals. It is recommended that people with no gall bladders have regular small meals/snacks instead of 3 large meals a day. It seems I am already in this pattern. I will resume regular vitamins tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment